Site Overlay

Brown, W. L.

Name: Brown, W. L.
Occupation: Barber
aka: W. L.
Sex: M
Birth: Abt 1842
Death: 18 Jul 1896
Marker: No
Spouse(s): Harriet Brown
Parents: Henry and Katy Brown
Children: Nannie B. Angel, Charles H. Brown, Mary Brown, Harriet B. Edmonds, Sarah B. Payne, Lulua B. Franklin Matthews, W. F. Brown, Virginia B. Armstrong, Fannie B. Eighme Hudnell
Affiliations: First Most Worshipful Master, Lodge #20, Free and Accepted Masons (Charlottesville)
Notes: Charter Member, Piedmont Industrial and Land Improvement Company; Founding Member and Trustee of First Baptist Church, West Main

It is believed that W. L. and his son Charles are buried alongside Ruth Brown.

THE DAILY PROGRESS
(Charlottesville, Virginia)
Monday July 20, 1896
Page 1

In 1873, W. L. Brown, who established a barbershop on the Corner at the University of Virginia in 1865, and wife Harriet, purchased a lot at the corner of Ridge and Dice Sts. from Patrick Martin and wife and S. M. Keller and wife. In 1873, the Martins and Kellers also sold to the Daughters of Zion Society trustees the approximately two-acre parcel known as the Daughters of Zion Cemetery.

Mr. and Mrs. W. L. and Harriet Brown
Photo courtesy of the Brown Family

William L. Brown’s sons, William F. Brown and Charles H. Brown, (pictured below in white barber jackets), operated a barbershop at 1407 Main Street (present location of The White Spot restaurant) that was established in 1865 by their father.
Image courtesy of Special Collections Library, University of Virginia

Copyright © 2021 DOZC. All Rights Reserved. | SimClick by Catch Themes
css.php